Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Reflecting on trip

It has been a few days since we have returned from South Carolina and I have had some time to organize my takeaways from the experience. My expectations, which were high going into the trip, managed to be surpassed handily. I got to meet and connect with a large amount of knowledgeable and important people, and I was able to network more than I could have imagined going into the trip. Speaking with the litany of experts, from professors to legislators and everything in between, I learned more than ever about the workings of our government. The people that I worked alongside on the Haley campaign were excellent, and they taught me about the intricacies of campaigning. I received valuable insight on what is going on behind the scenes in the political world, and my interest in the subject has been piqued. Perhaps the most valuable part of my experience, however, was the perspective I gained from my experiences talking to voters and politically engaged individuals. To start, all of my classmates on this trip were politically inclined and were willing to engage in discussions about political issues. We do not share the same perspectives on a lot of issues, and so I learned a lot from parsing out issues with people I disagree with. On top of this, I spent a lot of time canvassing on this trip. Naturally, this means that I had the opportunity to talk with diverse groups of voters. I learned a lot behind the reasons that people vote for specific candidates, and gained a better understanding of what issues people think about when deciding who to vote for. All in all, the Road to the White House trip was truly one of the most impactful experiences in my educational journey. I am incredibly grateful for all of the people who took the time to teach us about the political system, and the people who I worked with on the Haley campaign who helped educate me on campaigning. Lastly, I would like to thank Dr. McLauchlan for her tireless efforts putting together this life-changing experience, and she truly can never be given enough credit for how hard she works to make sure that everyone gets the most out of their education.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflecting on trip

It has been a few days since we have returned from South Carolina and I have had some time to organize my takeaways from the experience. My ...